What's going on here?

What's going on here?
Well Amanda and Emily both have goals to write more. Amanda wants to write a poem and a half a day for the next year, while Emily wants to write for National Write a Novel Month (NaNoWriMo), which is usually in November, but she is going to do it from now until her mission on May 18th. Here is were you can follow us in our goals! Leave comments, encouragement, and what ever else you feel like.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Jackson's Views on Poetry

He stood up with all the gumption that his 14 year old body could manage 
Planted his Nike feet upon the grey scratchy carpet
And said “MS HATTON!
Real men don’t like poetry”
And he gritted his teeth and tried to look tough
In the way that only a 14 year old with puppy dog eyes
And too many zits to count can look tough.
And he sat down to the congratulations of his buddies
And the admiration of the ladies
And he looked at me as if to say
“What! Can you do better?”
And I gathered all my 22 years of wisdom.
Tried to think of a way to make him understand what I was trying to show him.
To show him that poetry means you’re not alone.
Poetry makes you more than human.
Poetry, even if you don’t speak the language,
Can make you feel the way the words
Fit together.
Poetry is more than love poems
But rather life poems.
And so I looked him in the eyes
And I said “Jackson
You’re right.
Real men don’t like poetry.
Real men write poetry”
And I tried to soften my eyes
The way only a student teacher
Who doesn’t really know what she is talking about
Can soften her eyes.
And I tried to say
Boy someday you’re going to understand
But right now I know you’re not going to get it.
And he just looked back at me
He didn’t quite understand
But I hope someday he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment