What's going on here?

What's going on here?
Well Amanda and Emily both have goals to write more. Amanda wants to write a poem and a half a day for the next year, while Emily wants to write for National Write a Novel Month (NaNoWriMo), which is usually in November, but she is going to do it from now until her mission on May 18th. Here is were you can follow us in our goals! Leave comments, encouragement, and what ever else you feel like.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Deserving Happiness

I said “things have been hard as of late”
And you told me I deserved to be happy.
To let go of all the things that were dragging me down
And be happy.
But do you realize the way that hit me?
The way it was your whisper to move on?
To leave behind the little girl who sat at your Buddha feet
Aged beyond your years
The little girl who sat and listened and absorbed your teachings?
To leave her behind and become the woman I’ve been sketching for the last 8 months?
Because that’s what I heard.
You and I have a problem of saying words and hearing different things
And so I don’t know if that’s what you meant.
But you told me to be happy.
And I think you and I would both agree
That the easiest way for me to be happy
Would be to leave you behind.
So I’m trying.
I really am.
I left that girl out on a street corner
But every time I open my window I can hear her crying out on the wind.
And I don’t know if theres a middle ground.
Somewhere between leaving you completely behind and just barely off radar.
All I know is
That I can’t handle you right now.
You make me bend and break in places I wasn’t aware of.
You’ve got this control over me that neither of us wants.
So I pushed that little girl out of the car as I drove by.
The girl I grew out of.
I threw her out saying
“I am gonna be happy!”
But this isn’t happy.
I think I know what happy feels like
But this isn’t it.
Happy is stumbling up your doorstep and you smiling that lopsided grin as I just waltz in.
Happy is snuggling down under your ribs just to smell your old man sweater.
Happy is walking past your house in the snow and smiling to myself knowing you’re home and safe.
No, this isn’t happy.
But its been months since I felt a happy that didn’t have your name etched somewhere in it.
So I don’t know if this is happy without you
Or just plain bad.
Is this what everyone else feels like when they’re pulling themselves out of a love?
So you told me to forget the bad things.
Things like the way your eyes darkened that last time.
Things like your words heard in a way I don’t think you meant.
Things like I can’t breathe sometimes because you’re not here.
And I’m washing them away.
I take 5 showers a day hoping with enough soap and elbow grease
I won’t long for your skin against mine.
Hoping that at some point I will forget the way you were always warm and soft in your cool hard way.
No I don’t know what to do anymore.
Because trying to be happy is tiring me out.
It’s breaking these half broken bones
And shaking me so I rattle and roll
My teeth jammed together so tight I only notice after my tongue goes numb because it slipped in the side.
Yeah I deserve to be happy.
But happy isn’t a place.
It’s a way of getting somewhere
And I lost my road map
The day I met you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment