What's going on here?

What's going on here?
Well Amanda and Emily both have goals to write more. Amanda wants to write a poem and a half a day for the next year, while Emily wants to write for National Write a Novel Month (NaNoWriMo), which is usually in November, but she is going to do it from now until her mission on May 18th. Here is were you can follow us in our goals! Leave comments, encouragement, and what ever else you feel like.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Birthdays

I’ve never had the best of luck with birthdays.
They’ve ended badly in my book.
There was my 15th birthday.
2 people showed up.
And left early.
My best friend didn’t even come.
There was my 16th birthday.
My sister stole the show with her shiny new ring
And no one wore their masks.
There was my 19th birthday
I just didn’t celebrate.
Then there was my 21st.
The one I shared with you.
We thought it was a sign cause we had the same birthday.
A sign that said you and I were meant.
Well we were meant.
Just not forever.
We were meant to crash and burn.
To explode in a thousand swirling twirling embers
That would leave scars from where they licked my skin.
But I like the way I look now.
I like the way my voice carries.
I like the way I can’t keep a secret.
I like the way I still have that tan line we created together.
I like the way my skin feels rough from all the scars you caused.
Because that reminds me what I made it through.
But I still don’t like birthdays.
This year when it rolled around
All I could think was that
It was the night everything changed.
The way everything turned twisted and held the perfect image of beauty.
Of how the three of us spent the night in a park laughing and ignoring the dark.
And how it cemented us.
For awhile.
And so this birthday thing.
I’m thinking of changing it.
Perhaps a spring birthday is what I need.
My new birthday.
A new birth.
Because after the Great Fire of Winter 11
I was reborn.
Next year I’m celebrating in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment